Saturday, March 28, 2009

Chapter 22, Blog 5

For my blog, I have chosen Diego Velazquez's Las Meninas (The Maids of Honor). This painting appears to be a kodak moment, with the maids of honor surrounding the young princess in the middle. It could have been taken at a wedding in todays time, the exception being the style of dress. The girl knealing by the princess seems to be helping her in someway, possibly preparing her for an event. The girl to her right looks like she is posing for the camera. It truly looks like a snapshot moments before the ceremony. The girl on the right playfully puts her foot on the dog, and the dog's expression here is great. He seems to be a little annoyed, but relaxed at the same time. The lighting is phenomenal; very realistic. I really enjoy this painting, which is serving as a great subsitite for a camera in such a special time.


1 comment:

  1. I agree this painting caught my eye as well, I saw more as Cynthia detailed the paiting for us in the voicethread. It still amazes me that we are calling her a princess, as she seems just like a child, As she stares towards her left, as if watching the girl playing with the dog and wanting to be there.

    ReplyDelete